Why re-reading and highlighting are the worst study strategies?

More
1 month 1 week ago #22468 by Dr. Afdhaal
Hi there,

Learning is misunderstood! Getting familiar with the notes and properly learning the key areas of the notes are totally different.

When you re-read, you will be getting a feeling of familiarity with the notes. It is the same with highlighting! When you have lots of colors in the notes, you will feel really good! But what research shows is, those who use only re-reading and highlighting as the primary study strategy doesn't get good results in their exams.

A simple way to overcome this is to do more questions! Once read the notes. Get familiar with the topics. Then do the questions. When you can't answer them, go back to the notes. Then come back to the questions again.
It's a slow process. This might feel counterproductive. But when learning is hard, your brain remembers them for a very long time.

What are your thoughts?

Regards.

Studying is easy when you do it correctly! I'm a student of cognitive science and I love exploring how learning works! I created this website to share my study strategies to help fellow students overcome their problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds