My Story - Why 9A student ends up with 3C's in A/L

More
4 weeks 5 hours ago - 4 weeks 5 hours ago #22482 by Dr. Afdhaal
Hello there,

When I started doing A/L I had a lot of friends with good O/L results. In fact 9A's. And I had some of my friends who only got 3 or 4A's for their O/L.

I believed that those who get good results in O/L are going to shine in A/L. Because in the classroom, those brilliant students who got 9A's, quickly understood the concept before me and they gave the answer to all the questions that are asked. Well, it was really frustrating. Because my mind started to believe that, IQ matters. Those 9A students seemed to have a high IQ compared to me.  Just that thought and ego made me get stressed and completely lose focus.

Around 1 year passed. I was in the 2nd year of A/L. I was working so hard to accomplish my dreams. That is the time that I started to note that those brilliant students with 9A and high IQ, started to lose marks in exams. But the one with only a few A's in O/L started to perform fairly well. 

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

After reading a lot of cognitive science books and how success works, I finally got the answer to why brilliant students are failing. I was so amazed at the findings. Let me explain to you with a story.

There are different ball games, right? Let's compare cricket with baseball. In both games, there is a ball and a bat, and the player needs to run! Those are the similarities right! But the rules and perspectives of both games are totally different. You can play cricket doesn't mean that you can play baseball very well.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The same applied to O/L and A/L. Though both look almost similar, in which you have to study and write the exam, the rules and strategies apply to A/L are totally different from O/L. Therefore the A/L is a totally different ball game. In A/L
  • You have to work hard.
  • Spend more time with your books.
  • Revise and recall things on a regular basis.
  • Sacrifice a lot of the entertainment.
  • Be disciplined and punctual. etc.

Comment your thoughts on this matter below! 

Studying is easy when you do it correctly! I'm a student of cognitive science and I love exploring how learning works! I created this website to share my study strategies to help fellow students overcome their problems!
Last edit: 4 weeks 5 hours ago by Dr. Afdhaal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Zumra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Medical Student! Co-Founder & Administrator!
More
4 weeks 4 hours ago #22483 by Zumra
Good to be back after a long time! ? And these words are just too honest and true. Hope this helps the students who lose motivation to achieve their goals due to bad performance in O/L. ?

Medical Student! Co-Founder & Administrator at iStudyroom.com!

More
4 weeks 3 hours ago #22484 by Fathima Nifka
Sir, This matter is 100% damn true. Bcz I also had like that two types of friends now i can understand and see those how well in exam. This is very informative one sir. Really thank you very much sir.

More
4 weeks 2 hours ago #22485 by Dr. Afdhaal
Hello Nifka,

You are more than welcome! I hope it helped you.
Just understanding these basic things is really important to move forward towards good results in A/L.

Your past performance will deceive you otherwise.

Regards

Studying is easy when you do it correctly! I'm a student of cognitive science and I love exploring how learning works! I created this website to share my study strategies to help fellow students overcome their problems!

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #22486 by Fathima Nifka
Yah Sir, I understand that. Thank you for your guidance. Sir, I am 2021 A/L Bio batch. one kind request please don't hesitate to add me in your duas...☺
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Afdhaal

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds